Pyrolysis GCMS is a powerful and simple technique comprised of a Frontier Pyrolyzer coupled with a gas chromatography mass spectrometer system. Using this technique, sufficient amount of heat is used to break down the organic bonds of a complex specie into smaller and stable molecules referred to as pyrolyzates. The pyrolyzates formed and their relative intensities provide insight into the nature of the original material. This technique has a wide variety of applications for identifying organic composition of unknow samples by providing detail information about the compounds present in a sample. Such as compounds’ molecular formula, structure, and eluting time. In addition, Pyrolysis GCMS is used for identification of complex polymers, copolymers, volatiles, and additives. This technique which can be used both qualitatively and quantitatively, allows multiple and customized analysis on the same sample. Some analytical techniques using Frontier Pyrolyzer are listed below as examples. These techniques help you quickly solve the most difficult analytical challenges in an efficient and effective way.
- Evolved Gas Analysis (EGA): Referred to as “road map”, this technique determines the thermal profile of the sample complexity when gases evolved during a customized programmed heating are transferred directly into the MS.
- Single-Shot Analysis: Simple and fast technique for flash-Pyrolysis.
- Double-Shot Analysis: Solid technique for identifying volatile fractions (residual solvents, additives, monomers, oligomers, etc.) as well as determination of polymeric fragments and the breakdown of the compounds seen in Desorption.
- Heart Cuts (HC): Powerful technique for discovering detailed composition information of each thermal zone obtained from EGA.
- Reactive Pyrolysis (RxPY): Valuable technique for fully characterizing a complex matrix in which target compounds cannot be separated and yield overlapping ion fragments. RxPY derivatizes the target compounds for easy MS detection and quantification.
What Sets Frontier Pyrolyzer Apart from Others?
Unlike other Pyrolyzer units coupled to the GC/MS by a long transfer line, a Frontier Pyrolyzer is connected directly to the GC inlet and uses a micro furnace that is directly thermocouple regulated for precise and reproducible temperature control. Frontier’s Pyrolyzer well-engineered technology protect the introduced sample from any thermal exposure prior to pyrolysis and eliminates the chances of evaporation, degradation, and thermosetting. Providing the users with different type of cups based on the application, the sample is easily placed inside the sample cup and automatically introduced into the Pyrolyzer for composition analysis. This reliable instrumentation is user friendly and requires low maintenance as opposed to other Pyrolyzer units demanding high maintenance and supplies. Frontier Pyrolyzer provides reliability, precision, automation, and an advanced technology that can be used in various industries, such as automotive, coating, inks, plastic formulation, electronic, forensics, and medical devices.